Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Hosting Gig: EPIC FAIL (Filipino Altruism In Leadership)


In an attempt to give off a young and chill vibe to the usual smart casual attire, I wore tights under my skirt instead of the conventional silk stockings. :P

And yep, this was what I wore when I co-hosted a youth leadership summit by UP SANDIGAN last August 26, 2013.

OUTFIT 
Top: Forever 21
Skirt: Wet Seal
Tights: Department Store
Sneakers: Mossimo








-------------------
Mehehe. now uhm, please allow me to share you a short story:
When I was informed about the upcoming leadership summit and the 250 people coming from different colleges and universities in Manila, I must admit, I really felt pressured. You see, I haven't hosted events outside of my high school before. I mean, in certain times that I did emcee parties outside school (like baptisms, get-togethers, mini parties and the like), usually half of the audience was actually people I knew. This event was definitely bigger than the ones I used to host, obviously. But I still pushed through with this gig anyway, because I believed that it will be a great learning experience. It's always good to grab every opportunity you could! Never let chances be put into waste. :)

The night before the event, I wasn't able to help but feel all sorts of butterflies inside my stomach. I knew I was unprepared, but then again, I also knew that I could not just let this opportunity pass by .After watching about 7 Youtube videos on "How to Host Events" (lol), I finally mustered enough courage to send a personal message to Sarah Carlos. Sarah has always been one of the girls I look up to the most. She's incredibly pretty and smart, she's an accountancy student, a model, a singer, aaaand a radio jock! Talk about an overachiever! Lol so I told her about how nervous and clueless I was, and how much I needed tips from her. She, being the sweet girl that she totally is, replied and gave me tips. Some of which were these


1. Treat your audience as if they were just 1 person.


"250 people isn't really a lot. Once they're all there, you wouldn't even notice them. Just treat all of them as one person with split personalities. That's what what I always think of whenever I host something- it's like I'm talking to just one person with split personalities!


2. Speak with confidence. 


"Make sure you pronounce the words properly. If ever you get tongue tied, just move on. Pretend you didn't make a mistake.. but if it was THAT obvious, then just playfully say it again! Sometimes, I say things like "SORRY! I got too excited I forgot what I was gonna say! =))" 

3. Pray.

Because God is in control, and as long as you are doing it for Him, I'm sure you'll do great.


Sarah, thank you so much for everything! I kept all of these tips in my heart.
You are a very wonderful young woman. Keep on inspiring girls like me, Ms. Beauty, Brains and Heart. <3
----------------------
Can I just say that I feel really blessed because God surrounded me with amazing people. Not only did He give me Sarah, my inspirational mentor, but He also let me meet Jethro, the awesomest co-host ever!
The moment I met him for the first time on the day of the event, we instantly just clicked.

 I told him that I wasn't that experienced and trained as he was, but he told me that everything will be all right, as long as we'd have each others' backs. :) True enough, he was an AMAZING co-host. We definitely had chemistry, and hosting with him really turned out to be more fun than I thought! I learned a lot from him that day. He taught me how to go about things, and he was also very encouraging. Jethro, if you're reading this, I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart :) I am very blessed to have met you!

UP Sandigan
College of Pharmacy
EPIC FAIL (Filipino Altruism in Leadership)
PALM PLAZA HOTEL
8 am to 5pm



We were very honored to have learned from the talks of such amazing, esteemed speakers. Not a single person left the ballroom uninspired, I tell you. Check out Epic Fail's Twitter Account HERE to catch some inspirational lines said that day. 

FRANCIS KONG
He's Francis Kong. Need I say more? 
Jk. But seriously. Wow. Just...wow. <3 Mr. Kong, you the man!!


PASTOR RU DELA TORRE
Pastor Ru was a very energetic and witty speaker! :)



Celina La Neindre
She is one of the Filipino participants of AXN's The Apprentice Asia. Woot talk about big time!! HAHAHA Her story was super inspiring, and she is just an amaaazing woman! Hay <3 Another name has been added to my list of girl crushes. lol.


"You set your own standards, and that way, you never disappoint yourself."- Le Neindre



Chantelle Batac
At the core of a great society are great leaders. At the heart of a great leader is someone who has found his unique VOICE." - Chantelle Batac

Click THIS to view  more of the official photos of the event.

Just some random photos from my camera:


A photo with Ate Marielle, the beautiful woman with a beautiful heart! Thank you so much for inviting us, ate! And most specially for believing in us. And congrats to you and your bibbo orgmates!! UP Sandigan definitely put up one AWESOME event! woohoo! 

With Ate Roselle of UP Sandigan who gave us Krispy Kreme doughnuts after the event. Super sweet <3 Thank you, ate!! :) I know super mababaw lang kaligayahan ko, but super nakakatouch lang talaga. :) 



Congratulations, UP Sandigan!!
All of your hardwork and sleepless nights had finally paid off! Y'all make such a great team.
The leadership summit was a huge success. The event went out smoothly and organized; everyone had a blast and the speakers were a-m-a-z-i-n-g!! We can't wait to attend more of your events! More power to you guys! 

One line I heard that day and  brought with me as I left the room was this:

As long as you inspire others, you are a leader. 

keep on burning with passion in your hearts,
The Teenage Queen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Share your thoughts with us and I'll do my best to respond. :)