Thursday, February 19, 2015

#Nuan Week: I am Proud to be a Nuan.

I can't believe I forgot to blog about this months ago. Last July, our sorority, the UP Sigma Alpha Nu Sorority Manila, celebrated its 26th year of unparalleled excellence! <3 

To kick start the celebration, we had a photoshoot with some of the resident sisses :)
Big thanks to my highschool bff, Bria Cardenas, for these amazing shots!
Like her page on Facebook, please. PHOTOGRAPHY BY BRIA CARDENAS 
-----------------------------------
Before I share with you guys our photos, allow me to leave my "1st Anniversary post" here :)) HAHA!

June 26, 2014

Growing up, there has always been this stigma that sororities are violent, and that all sorority girls underwent physicals and humiliation. Media says that sorority girls do nothing but party and live messed up lives. Upon entering college, I've been warned to stay away from people involved in Greek organizations, and to avoid any form of interaction with them. I didn't understand why, though. I've never even met a Sorority girl! But , being the sheltered girl I was, I just simply followed what I've been told to do.

Not until I met the Sigma Alpha Nu Sorority.
Every. Single. Stigma I've had on sororities was proven wrong, and was completely erased from my system.

Greeks are pretty cool people, after all. Through the Sorority, I found different avenues for me to serve others and for me to grow as well. I've been able to reach out to more people and be a blessing to them. I've been taught things that we wouldn't normally be able to learn within the four walls of the classroom; I've been given opportunities to use my talents, to step out of my comfort zone, to meet new people, and to learn how to work with others; I was even able to take part in creating and holding different events, not only for the UP Manila student body, but for my fellow countrymen as well! From the 2012 Bar Ops, Juvenile visits, Outreach programs, Children's Booth in the Villamor Airbase for the Typhoon survivors, to Captivate, Rose giving celebrations, tambayan parties, and empowering programs like Ambassadress of Beauty---- I'm just really happy and blessed to be part of all of these!

And today, I'm proud to say that I've officially been a Nuan for a year now. June 26 will always be special to me heart emoticon It was the start of something life-changing, and I'm just really excited for what more is in store for the next years to come!
To my sisters, thank you for everything! You are all blessings to me, and I thank God for giving me each one of you. I've been through a LOT downs last year (dramas and all that, haha) but thank you for always keeping up and for loving and understanding me. Thank you for always being by my side. You girls are some of the few people I know would always remain genuine and true. Thank you for the friendship, and most importantly, thank you for our beautiful sisterhood smile emoticon Love you all!
Here's to a lifetime of sisterhood!
In Truth, Reason, and Justice,
Hershey Cristabel Manguray Neri, 2013-B ‪#‎ΣΑΝ‬


Hershey 2013-B 

People see me as opinionated and loud; I was told to act more lady-like and "appropriate". But ΣΑN taught me that I should not be limited or oppressed. And you know what? 

I may be loud, crazy, clumsy- and everything else in between, but I choose to be me.
I am a Nuan. 




Lili Alonday 2009-D 




Marga Dendiego 2014-A

An empowered woman knows what she wants. ΣΑN taught me that I should not be limited or oppressed. 

I am a strong, independent woman. 

Proud to be a NUAN!


Nat Dabuet 2013-D

People see me as liberated and adamant. I've been frequently advised to be more reserved and to occasionally silence my inner voice. But ΣΑN, taught me that I should not be limited or oppressed. I may be overbearing, unyielding, stubborn and several other adjectives that society decidedly imposes upon my identity. Nonetheless, I choose to be me.
I am a Nuan.


LC Bekai Tuparan 2009-C

Society has a crude way of dictating what is right from wrong. Forcing people to hide under masks and live their life according to certain 'standards'. 
But ΣΑN has taught me otherwise, it has taught me that I should not be limited or oppressed. I choose to be empowered, I choose to be me.
I am a proud Nuan.


Kyle Sagulili 2013-E

People tell me I'm stubborn, boyish, and hotheaded. I've always been pushed to be a little more demure and to shut my mouth. But ΣΑN, taught me that I should not let society's standards cover up my personality. I may be straightforward, loud, bossy, and every other word you could think of to label me as society says. Nonetheless, I choose to be me.
I am a Nuan.


Mara Magsanoc 2013-A


Classes haven't started yet when we went on this shoot, so some of our sisses were still in their provinces then!! We missed you, girls!

With Bria Cardenas, our amazing photographer! <3

Anyway, enough of the throwback photos!

I can't wait to spill the beans on what's in store for UP Manila this March 2015. One clue: It's all about empowering women. :)

Thanks to everyone (Numans and Friends of EAN! lol) who continues to support our sorority and our goals, Nationalism, Academic Excellence, Leadership, and Uplift of Women! :) 


In Truth, Reason, and Justice,

Hershey 2013-B
www.theteenagequeen.com

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a lot of fun! Made me miss college naman. Hehe :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Share your thoughts with us and I'll do my best to respond. :)