Thursday, August 4, 2016

Story Time: Like the Roots of a Tree.

Fifteen seconds after the waitress took our family photo, the table next to us started screaming.

Then came the commotion. An old man was choking, as his daughter, who was around my age, was helplessly crying and asking for help.

"Dad, dad! Someone, please help Dad!"

My brother-in-law rushed to him, and while he was performing the Heimlich maneuver, my dad also came in and helped. Ater a few seconds, a young woman from the other side of the room ran to the table, too. People stood at the sides when someone shouted, "Mga doktor sila, tabi tayo, tabi."

All eyes in the room were on the four of them. Kuya, thrusting; dad and the woman, helping.

My baby nephew started crying. People were holding on to each other. And I was standing in the corner, saying a quiet prayer.

Finally, the man was rescued. The restaurant fell silent. Then, from his chair, he stood beside his three heroes and looked up to them. Grinning.

Someone from the room started clapping slowly. Then followed a chorus of applause. And as if that wasn't enough, a standing ovation.

Tonight, I witnessed three selfless heroes save a stranger's life.

And I was reminded that amidst all the selfishness and violence in this world, 

Love and kindness, 

like the roots of a tree slowly winning its battle against concrete sidewalk, 

love and kindness still prevail.


-----

August 4, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Share your thoughts with us and I'll do my best to respond. :)